Thursday, February 19, 2009

Free Agency Ain't Lookin' So Hot

ProFootballTalk is reporting that the Panthers are finalizing a deal with Jordan Gross. That sucks. We all basically knew it would happen, but it was fun hoping some miracle might happen.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/19/panthers-wrapping-up-deal-with-gross/

I wrote a piece for PE.com talking about Free Agency. The sad fact is that there aren't many good targets for the Eagles. Most of the best players appear to be on defense. That's the area where we're strongest. We need to patch some holes on the depth chart with draft picks, but that's about it.

Offense is where we could use help. We need line help and some good role players, but the pickings aren't great. You never know who the Eagles will like that we don't, but I just don't see many attractive targets. Maybe I've gotten "programmed" by the Eagles over the years to focus on the downside of FAs.

Here's the article:

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=17418

I caught some flak for not speaking highly about TJ Houshmandzadeh. The sad fact is that some Eagles fans are so desperate for a big name WR that they ignore the evidence. TJ is a possession receiver, not a playmaker. He could help our team, but wouldn't have a significant impact the way some think.

My biggest fear with FA is losing Buck. I don't like the FA group of RBs. Buck is a perfect fit for us. I just have the feeling that the Eagles are going to nickel and dime him and he'll leave. Buck isn't a great player or anything like that, but he's been a very good backup for us the last 3 years. I would be happy for Buck if he went to a place that actually used him. It'd be interesting to see what he could do with 150 or more touches.
____

1 comment:

T_S_O_P said...

If we had 2 Pro Bowl receivers and a pro bowl TE we'd still require another receiver - you should know that.

Personally, I wanted Nmandi who I felt was the only FA who could improve our D.

I would like Buck to return, but I'm not sure we'd (the coaching staff) miss him, otherwise he just wouldn't spend so much time on the sidelines. If we do use him more, the draft choice (we has got to be a sure thing)has two hopes of seeing the field, and sadly Bob is no longer with us. Also, Correll must surely know that if he wants to play ball, he has a better chance even as a back up elsewhere.